Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Beginning

I plan to chronicle my family's switch from the Standard American Diet to a fresh, whole foods diet. It's something I've been interested in for a while. It has constantly drawn me in. Whole foods. Fresh foods. Organic foods. But it's consistently been just out of my reach. Or rather, just outside of how far I chose to reach. But finally (and slowly) I have made the decision to transform our eating habits.

How, exactly, would I determine the beginning of that change?

Was it seven years who when I moved out on my own and had to cook if I wanted to eat?

Was it two years ago when I started working a desk job and my metabolism (and daily movement) plummeted?

Was it eighteens months ago when my stomach started hurting every.single.day?

Was it a year ago when I determined my stomach hurt every single time I ate out?

Was it two months ago when I read In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan?

Was it a month ago when Dad had a heart transplant and I started viewing life differently?

In reality, each of these milestones has had an influence on how I eat. In a three steps forward, two steps back fashion, I have moved towards a healthy diet. But I've always found an excuse to not stick with it. Some excuses were even justifiable - though I will admit, I'm the queen of justification.

But this time - I want it to stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment